Monday, June 21, 2010

Summertime

Last weekend I went to the water park. It was a lot of fun. My first time in a wave pool, which I thought would be lame for me but exciting for my son. 'This looks about our speed,' I said to Ian. It ended up being a lot of fun for both of us. Those waves are serious. They are just like ocean waves, with their take-down power.

Then I bought a new bike., a 1-speed, beach cruiser. So,I got a child's seat for it, as well. B/c there is no way these guys let me just leave the house without them and go for a bike ride. Let's be serious. I can barely make it to work on time, somedays. I bring the bike home and slave away in the garage--in the moist, humid, sticky Savannah, Georgia garage heat. I finally got everything togethor and sturdy after about an hour. At that time the 3-year-old was enjoying a Disney movie in the AC. His curiosity at what I was doing in the garage was abated by the heat. So, I tell my niece to bring out my 4 month old. He is in the 90th percentile for his weight, let me mention, before you get too judgemental about this next part.

So, there we are. Me and my niece. I have her helping me get my son into this seat. I am fixing the straps and getting ready to go for a ride. She begins to get concerned about the amount of support my son requires to sit in the seat. 'Don't worry, I got him.' I tell her. She expresses her concern with a, 'Auntie, you're going to get him KILLED!'. I chuckle b/c I realize in her mind she thinks I am gonna pedal around the block with my son flopping hazardously around in the seat, potentially falling out of it. I never intend to do this, of course, I am just seeing if he will fit securely in the seat. But I decide to kid her a little bit by replying, 'No, I'm not, I'm just gonna pedal and hold onto him like this. He'll be alright.' She begins walking towards the door, no longer wanting to take part in fitting my son to the seat. 'What size is he supposed to be to ride in this, anyway?' she asks casually. I reply, '1 year, but he is almost like a 6-month old with his weight.' 'I WON'T LET YOU GO', she lets me know in a stern I'm-joking-but-I'm-not-joking tone as she hits the button to lower the garage door. I realize her casual walk was actually a calculated slink towards this button. I sigh, 'It's too hot, open the garage door.' She tells me no, that she won't let me take him out that she'll keep the door closed. I guess the game is over now so I show her how the straps wouldn't fit him anyway & that I wasn't gonna take him out. 'But bring me Ian!,' I say, 'b/c after all that work I am taking one of my kids out in this seat!'

That niece is so smart, I admire the way she stood up to me to protect my son. I wasn't seriously going to ride around with him in the seat the way he was, I was only kidding her.

So, anyway, the 3-year-old was a perfect fit and we had a really nice bike ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment